Sunday 31 January 2016

The Town Hall, Kolkata

THE TOWN HALL, KOLKATA


The TOWN HALL is one of the famous and important landmarks in Kolkata. Its construction was completed in 1814, with 7 lakh rupees raised from public lottery money. Originally built as a gathering place for the Britishers living in “Calcutta” during that time, it is now occupied by the ‘Kolkata Panorama’ museum, and also used for seminars, lectures and exhibitions. After independence, the Town Hall fell into disuse. A unique step was taken to gather funds for its restoration. Through an auction of famous paintings and outside support, a trust fund was created. On April 14, 1998, the restored Town Hall was handed over to Kolkata Corporation and opened to the public on 15 August 1998 with an exhibition of paintings.

I went to this place in October. I made sure I read enough about the building to observe the elements of architecture and history. Though people are not allowed to visit the upper floor, the museum on the first floor and a thorough observation from the outside are, I feel, enough to hold your attention (it also made me all the more curious to know what was on the upper floor!). While we (my grandfather and I) were waiting for the person who would show us around, I had a quick look at the interior. Most of the structure was hidden behind newly constructed walls and separators but I could see through from between them. There were pillars with quite broad bases and the ceiling was really high! You won’t be able to see much of the interior except for these minor elements.

Now, coming to some technicalities, the TOWN HALL was designed by Colonel John Garstin in the Palladian Neo-Classical style of achitecture. Palladian architecture is that which has been evolved from the original works of Venetian architect Andrea Palladio. I recognised the windows in the front portion of the building to be the Palladian style windows (which I had read about earlier). The windows were divided into 3 sections – a broad and arched central section, flanked by two narrower sections with squared tops, on each side. Below is a sketch of a Palladian style window and a window in the front portion of the TOWN HALL.



Other features of this style were symmetry and elements from Classical architecture (Roman doric columns, which I’ve written about later). Next comes the Neoclassical style, which is inspired from Classical architecture of ancient Greece and Rome and is characterised by symmetry again, simplicity of geometric forms, use of columns, Greek or Roman details and preferably, blank walls. The Doric columns which support the front portico of the building are inspired from Roman architecture. ‘Doric’ columns are the simplest of the 3 main types of classical Roman columns (the other 2 being Ionic and Corinthian). These columns are austere but that is what makes them important. According to me, it is a significant element which highlights the simplicity of form of the building.


These columns possess a plain capital and base and a non-fluted shaft. Futhermore, these columns stand on plinths instead of being placed directly on the floor, as is evident from the photograph. Another distinct feature is the presence of triglyphs and metopes. I found this to be a subtle and convoluted feature. I wouldn’t have known about this if I wouldn’t have read about it. I still havent been able to comprehend the concept comlpetely and can not write much about it- triglyphs appear centred over every column, and between columns too, and metopes, ideally square in shape, are present with little decoration.



Coming to the museum, the name is aptly chosen. It does showcase the “panorama” of “Calcutta”. It represents popular Bengali culture and significant  events of the freedom movement of India through well designed models and a captivating nine screen show. The nine-screen show, in fact, was one of the best things there. It evoked all the history lessons at school! Though I never liked History so much, I’m sure that if we were taught at school through such ways, it would have been my favourite subject!

I came to know some really interesting things about this place too. The Town Hall has witnessed some very memorable events like the 50th and 70th birthdays of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore and was used temporarily for judicial purposes while the present building of the High Court was being constructed. When I visit such places I realize how less I know about my very own city where I’ve lived ever since I was born! That brings me to the end of this post and a promise to myself - to be a tourist in my own city.